CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

My photos

Friday, December 21, 2007

The Meaning of Life: contentment

As I sit here, surrounded by the trappings and trimmings of Christmas, I find myself thinking of my life and the direction I am headed in. I think about the things I have and the things I want, as well as the things I value the most. I realized that the reason it is hard for me to make a Christmas list, is that I have almost everything I need or want. I don't really have that many wants. Not really, despite what my husband may think or say otherwise. I have my family, all living close by, where we can visit regularly, and do things together. I have my health, and my family has theirs. I have friends, both those that live near me and those that are scattered around this sphere we live on. These friends cheer me up when I am sad, listen to me vent my frustrations, and offer advice and laughter all the time. I have a house, and a car that is now officially paid for and belongs to me. I have a job. What more could I ask for? Why did I start thinking about these things?

Because of a conversation that I had today with a lady I have known for years. Since Steve and I started dating. She married one of his friends. She kept talking about how much money her husband made, adn the new car they just bought b/c the other one was two years old.. and the house they moved into with 5 bedrooms, and 6 bathrooms for 3 people. Then after about 15 minutes of this type of "conversation" she asked if Steve and I still lived in our "cute little house" and when we would be moving to a larger house. SHe really didn't like my "answer" of "WE are happy where we are." SHe actually asked me "are you really happy?"

I realized at that moment that for me the meaning of life is all about one thing: Contentment... I am content and happy with my life.

3 comments:

CK Photo said...

Being content has always been a goal of mine. It is a great place to be in your life.

Unknown said...

That is a great place to be in life. Some people (like the woman you spoke to) will never get there... they never have enough, they never have a big enough house or a nice enough car, they will die still reaching for more. YOU have found the secret to being happy... be content with what you have.

Lynette said...

It is really nice to realize that you have enough. The important things family and friends, that is peace.